Friday, March 09, 2012

We bid adieu to you Rahul Dravid

It brings an end to a wonderful and illustrious career. i watched him play in his debut match in Lords. I felt very bad for him when he got out on 95, wondering if he will get another chance to make the 100. Well, I am happy I was wrong. He has made many centuries. Many of them overseas and in matches we desperately needed. But over the last few years more than the cricket it was the way he handled his life that has made me respect him even more. Dravid has the brains to go with game. He is humble and extremely likeable. As I read his statemet today, there were tears in my eyes during this part

He began by reading out his statement, his voice steady as he listed the people who'd played a part in every stage of his career - coaches, selectors, trainers, physios, officials, team-mates, family, even the media. He ended with the Indian cricket fan. "The game is lucky to have you and I have been lucky to play before you… My approach to cricket has been reasonably simple: it was about giving everything to the team, it was about playing with dignity and it was about upholding the spirit of the game. I hope I have done some of that. I have failed at times, but I have never stopped trying. It is why I leave with sadness but also with pride."

We will miss you too Rahul. Thanks for remembering us.

"I hope I have done some of that. I have failed at times, but I have never stopped trying" These are the words that I would like to say about myself when I am about to die. That is all one can do (in my view).

No comments: