Sunday, January 26, 2014

Australian Open

Well, well, well - Stanislas Wawrinka is the Australian Open Champion. When Federer lost the semi-finals (once more.. I know) to Rafael Nadal I assumed Rafa would win his 14th slam and reduce the gap. But I digress - the blog is about Wawrinka - a mere mortal who in his own opinion was never supposed to win a grand slam. He genuinely believed his role was to come play hard, compete and yet never win. I love that attitude - knowing and accepting your fate and yet fighting to your ultimate best. Some days when you least expect it you will be rewarded for your perseverance. Today I have heard somebody articulate what most individuals in this world are scared to admit. Your life, most of the time, has no difference; you will be forgotten in history of time; but you can still live, fight, struggle because you know what you do and that is its own reward.

Stanislas has a tattoo on his body (from here)
“Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better.” — Wawrinka’s tattoo.
More of his interview here

I wish I can emulate this in my life and my career. At least that is the struggle. Oh btw -- congratulations to the new grand slam champion and world no. 3 Stanislas Wawrinka (also the new top ranked Swiss player..). 

No comments: