Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Random thoughts

What is good enough? In academia I come across so many really smart folks. It makes you realize how minute you are in the large scheme of things (not that you dont realize it any other way). Some times it gets to you - trying to compete knowing very well there is no way you can compete. How do you handle the utter despondency of the effort? I mean there is no way you can start working on cool papers just because they are cool - not without background and effort; I mean real mind numbing and back breaking effort! What do you choose? Give up and do what you can or struggle and produce work that is really cutting edge. The former will ensure a steady stream of "good" quality papers - every paper making you feel even more littler with very low sense of achievement. On the other hand, if you go for the more risky option, you don't know where you will end up and what you will achieve - if successful you might write 2-3 path breaking papers in 5-6 years and you still feel little because there are folks who will publish 50 papers in the same time. Don't forget this is if you are successful - if not you have 5-6 years to show for nothing! I would love to look at my life as somebody who tried - but the effort to try is something that needs a lot of courage and grit. Only time will tell if you have it in you. My only aim when i put my feet up (nice way of saying retire/die) is to be happy that I gave it my all - mental and physical. It does not matter where I fall in the spectrum - all that matters is how you fall there. If only practicing this was as easy as writing it down!


No comments: