Monday, July 09, 2007

Wimbledon 2007

Well, what a Wimbledon it was.

Roger Federer was going for his 5th Wimbledon. Under immense expectations and pressure he played a thriller of a match against Rafael Nadal. Clearly, the match was close but Fed held his nerve at the most important moments and made it to the finish line. Now, I think a huge burden is off his shoulders (off mine too). He has proved that he is the best ever Wimbledon champion by winning it 5 successive times. Also, he has seen Nadal improve as a grass court player. However, from next year Federer will not have to fight the pressure of making it 5 in 5. Now that he has achieved it he can play more relaxed and may be improve his game further. Lets see.

The weekend was very tense and for me it was as if I am playing the final. I don't know how Federer can handle all the pressure. Jut being a fan is so emotionally draining. For the entire duration of the match I sat like an idiot so tense that I would not have moved even if there was an earthquake. I decided to watch this final alone because it meant so much to me. And good that I did it. Because nobody will ever understand why it means so much to me. It is as if Federer is on war with my enemy and so there is no place for compassion or appreciation for the opponent. Most tennis fans appreciate both players (in this case Nadal). Appreciating an opponent when Federer is playing is sacrilege. He is the God of tennis. He looses points because he makes a mistake, not because someone creates an opportunity. He gives them a chance because of his mistakes. I know people will not accept this (I know it is upto them). But thats how I treat federer. Federer is a genius, an artist and much more. I cannot accept his defeat. (Please don't give me it is after all a sport argument!!)

For me he is the greatest tennis player ever to have played. I have had the privilege of watching Bjorn Borg and Pete Sampras. (I was not fortunate to watch Rod Laver or Roy Emerson). Among these three champions I have watched I am sure that Federer is the best. For me his victory gives utmost pleasure. This final will mark the end of my tension whenever he plays. From now on, I will enjoy his game like I did in the first two years of his meteoric rise. His great forehand, his wonderful backhand and those athletic runs he makes, the cross court passing shots he can hit, his sublime serve and most important of all Roger Federer the man!! Go Federer, Make your total grand slams beyond 20!!

Of course if there is a small thing missing that will be the French Open. I just hope he will win it some day!! For me thats immaterial and he is already the greatest tennis player whether he wins French or not.

Well, now I have one dream, before he retires I want to watch him play at Wimbledon ("The Championships" in tennis). The thought of watching him play at Wimbledon itself is unbelievable. I hope I can fulfill it.

4 comments:

deepaktn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
deepaktn said...

Thought I needed to wait, but could nt. Good one, may be I will go along for a PhD at LSB just to give u the opportunity to visit London for a Wimbledon, not that u would nt get one otherwise. I wish I was sensitive enough to be in ur position may be for something/somebody else. But I am not privileged enough for that.

bobba said...

You weren't even born when Borg quit ! Plz dont tell me you watched him when he came back briefly from retirement...
And if you haven't realized it yet, you are in LOVE ;) Enjoy while it lasts.

Rakesh Nerella said...

I think one cannot argue about your love for Federer after reading this post. But I seriously deplore the conspicuous absence of Andre Agassi.
Agassi was the only active player until recently to have The Complete Grand Slam in the Open Era. I think until 1988 Australian Open was played on grass. And US Open was on grass until 1975. Please correct me if I am wrong. So I mercilessly discount the Complete Grand Slam achieved only on 2 courts i.e grass and clay.

In that case Bjorn Borg is the greatest who has hattrick of French-Wimbledon in same year.

Having said that, I adore Federer next to none :)