Saturday, November 15, 2008

Boycott

Geoffrey Boycott is a very interesting character. Here is a new book on him. I was stunned reading this excerpt from the book

"Boycott was certainly aware of his image as a leading Test cricketer, and could be absurdly jealous of any slight on his reputation as a batsman. Rodney Cass [a fellow Yorkshireman who kept wicket for Worcestershire and Essex] was working at a school in South Africa in 1967 while Boycott was coaching at King David College. 'We had a match between our schools and at the end of the game, all these kids were gathered around Geoff, wanting autographs. He was signing away and talking and I said to him: 'What do you think of my No. 3, not a bad little player, is he?' And with 200 kids listening, he replied, 'Ay, he's a good player him, all right.' I said, 'I think he plays the on-drive as well as anybody I've ever seen.' And Geoff exploded: 'He doesn't play it as good as me.' And he meant it."


He is one bloody jealous chap


No comments: