Monday, November 03, 2008

Very sad

to hear this letter To Aravind Adiga
An excerpt!
i finally finished reading the white tiger, and as i closed
the book on the train last night, i felt nothing but a sense of deep
relief, and regret. relief, that i had survived reading your book.
regret, that one more english-educated indian has learnt what was not
part of the syllabus: shouting at the rooftops about how dark and dirty
the country is. and look! they even awarded you £50,000 for doing that.
well done!
I remember feeling very similar when I read "Inheritance of Loss"... and to some extent "God of Small Things". I don't feel good that now Adiga's book also falls into this category. I am appalled at how such books keep winning the Booker. Anyway, I will still read White Tiger in sometime to confirm!

No comments: