Thursday, January 03, 2013

2012

Well another year, another annual roundup. This one will be short!

On the personal front there have been multiple milestones. The year marked an improvement in my long-distance relationship. We have altered our arrangment so that we are together at least 50% of the time with one another. This is a remarkably better arrangment than the past. The year marked the completion of one year. This year also marks the beginning of a home for us. We started buying furniture, TV and little things to set up our home. it was hectic but fun. 

In october, my sister gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. I still cant believe it. I am still waiitng to hold the id in my own hands. Another friend of mine also had a baby boy in December. Well, as promised in my last year post, we are moving into the kids phase from the parents phase!

A good friend of mine tied the knot. Well, he had three ceremonies and I was present for 2 of them and had a great time!

Travel this year has been hectic as usual bewteen Austin and Montreal. In addition, there was a trip to India, Wasgington DC, Maine (Bailey Island, Portland with friends), Sodu bay (with family), Tremblant (near Montreal), houston and Pittsburgh.

Added Monk, Friends to my sitcom repertoire. Started watching Sherlock!

On the social front, I have offcially entered the no time realm. I find it very hard to keep in touch with all the travelling (me or my wife) abd work commitments. I dont know if this is a phase or if it is going to be the future. But well, i will wait and see!

On the professional front, things have been mostly lousy! Well, the relationship fell apart. I worked hard to submit the paper and well, things went downhill because of some parallel work I undertook. There is only so much I can do! Then on the funding front I did not have much luck! Mostly unsuccesful grant applications tend to get you down for a reasonable amount of time. In terms of papers, it has been a decent year. I got my first papers without my advisor in this year. That is comforting to get some papers. TRB season was queite hectic and stressful. I will try not work so hard next july. Lets see!

Also, I found myself getting caught up in weird "professional" situations that pushed me to the limits. I would not want be part of such issues, but given how life works out I have to face some uncomfortable people and scenarios. I hope that thse will reduce with time!

Teaching went fine. I found myself having less time for my undergraduate classes compared to last year. But, the semester felt more stressful. I am actively working with multiple grad and undergrad students. The handling of students is another talent I am yet to master!

In cricket, Dravid and Laxman retired from tests, tendulkar from onedays. they will be missed. 

In Tennis, Federer has had a decent year, winning Wimbledon, silver in olympics, wrapping up the highest number of weeks at 1 record. All is good for the GOAT. 

As is evident, it has been a dull year!Hoping to spend more time in Montreal in 2013!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy new year dude!! I think you are an amazing human being, ability to pursue a ground breaking research and balance life and advise students and blog

You will be my inspiration and will always keep that in mind.