Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My semester

I am TAing for the first time in my life as a graduate student. For a person who has been in school for 4 years its rare that you get the opportunity so late in you career. Not that I am complaining. But it feels good to sit with students and help them with their minute problems. It allows you to see how students react and how you would need to make minor changes to the way you explain them. This for me is very interesting and enjoyable. Anyway, the course is not hectic by any stretch of imagination. So, I would say I am having a nice time. Lets see if it stays that way for the entire semester.

The other part of my semester is revolving around a statistical consulting course that I am taking. This allows me to interact with professors from various departments that employ statistical techniques to solve their research problems. It is interesting to see how people from other departments look at statistical applications. For them these are tools that they need to learn as appropriate. I work in an area where I need to improve (sometimes enhance) the existing methods to develop new models. So, the way I look at statistics is slightly different. But it surely makes you appreciate what you do more! Today I have a consultation session to get a feel for my second problem that I will be assisting this semester. Lets see how that goes !

No comments: